Thursday, February 23, 2017

Exciting Changes!!

When I started "professionally" sewing, about 7 years ago, I wanted to do something that would help our family financially and yet be something I could feel passionate about.  After several tries at different work-from-home efforts, I finally really asked myself what I loved and would be happy doing.  That's how I came to ask my husband, while in the car, "What do you think would happen if I just quilted like it was my job?"

The answer led me to take some classes to improve my skills and start Summer Lee Quilts a few months later.  I started by offering a couple of quilts, some soft bags, and a couple table runners.  I immediately started getting custom orders for quilts and purses, but I wasn't sure how to focus on my efforts.

After about a year, I realized that I just didn't enjoy making the purses, but I needed (wanted?) something to offer besides just quilts.  I decided to make my focus baby items after I made up some cute patchwork bibs for a friend's baby shower.  I loved making them, and really, I was hoping for another baby...so working on baby things helped me wait.

God heard my prayers, and I had my third baby 3.5 years ago and had to eventually step back from the business to care for a new baby and homeschool the older 2 girls.  

When I returned to sewing last year, I jumped right back into making what I'd always made...modern quilts with gorgeous fabrics and baby items.  I have thoroughly enjoyed making the baby bibs, burp cloths, etc., especially picking out the fabrics...modern, baby fabrics are SO fun.  

With that said, I feel like God has brought me to a time and place of re-evaluating what I'm doing and honing in on what I need to be focusing on.  So...I've been asking myself lots of questions about what drives me and where my passions lie.  I've got to be honest...it's making quilts.  I can do the other stuff, of course, but what energizes me and keeps me working and focused is the quilt process...the whole thing, mind you...from designing to picking fabrics, cutting and piecing, basting and quilting, even binding...I LOVE it.  But the truth is...the baby stuff...it's not making quilts.

Woo!  I've been thinking about that and holding it in for a long time, and it feels GREAT to say it aloud!  

Here's where I get really excited...the future of Summer Lee Quilts...  Today, I'm introducing you to my new Home Decor line!  From here on out, I'll be offering only quilts.  However, my quilts will come in many sizes.

I'm going to continue to make baby quilts, but expand to have lap and bed-sized quilts in the shop as well.  I'll also be carrying table runners, placemats, coasters, and mini-quilt potholders.  Everything I have will be a quilt, whether large or tiny.  <3

Here are pictures of what I've created so far.

Table runners and toppers with coordinating placemats and pot holders!






Modern Placemat sets that can stand alone as an artistic quilt.

(This set even has a coordinating pot holder!)



I'm making coasters too!  These tiny quilted beauties are soooo fun to make!

  



Instead of using only baby=friendly fabrics or fabrics I think will sell, I'm going to use only fabrics I love.  Whether those fabrics are modern, rustic, cottage chic, or anything in between...I want my work to reflect me and my diverse tastes.

All of these items are now in my Etsy Shop, and I have lots more on the way!

Also, because I will no longer be making baby items (unless requested by custom order), I have put ALL of the baby items 15% OFF in the shop!  They are already marked down so there's no need for a code.

I can't explain how free this decision has made me feel, and I'm sooo excited to have this fine-tuned focus.  <3 <3

Thank you so much for stopping by.

Have an awesome day!

~Summer


I've linked up today with Finish It Up Friday, TGIFF, and Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?


2 comments: